Fema has been revising flood maps, and if you live near a flood zone, you could be one of the unlucky ones who’s property has been recently changed to be included in the flood zone. Many Fema maps have not been updated for years. Now that they have been updated, many people are receiving letters from their mortgage company telling them that as long as they hold the mortgage for their house, they are required to purchase flood insurance. If you receive this letter, you either have to purchase the flood insurance, or the mortgage company will purchase is for you. There are some ways to try to dispute this, however, the process will take some time, and there is no guarantee that you will resolve the situations. Each property is unique.

You can contact Fema to learn more: http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/fhm/hm_main.shtm

If you decide that you want to purchase a Flood Elevation Certificate, then contact us.

One Response to “FEMA Flood Zone Changes Could Require You To Purchase Flood Insurance”

Leave a Reply

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree